20 February 2010

E-Portfolios and Multiple Blogs

This past Wednesday I took a course on what I thought was blogging as part of the professional development offered to Penn State postdocs.  I figured it would be one of those classes where they discuss copyright issues, intellectual property, what Penn State frowns on, etc.  It ended up being a short course on e-portfolios.

E-portfolios are actually a neat way to build a professional online presence without having to go through the hassle of building a webpage.  Yeah, I know webpages aren't all that difficult but my knowledge of html coding is still in the baby stage - bolding, italics, centering, adding photos and links to discussion posts in forums, and that's about it.  So with the Movable Type software (free BTW) we learned to use, I can have permanent pages with stuff like my CV, text-based vita, ongoing research projects, and links, as well as a space to blog my thoughts about my research or what I am reading.

Which brings me to the dilemma of maintaining two blogs when I can barely manage one.  What goes where?  This one has been out there longer and apparently people even read it on occasion.  The new blog, Through the Postdoc Looking Glass, is my professional stuff so no cussing, discussion of personal stuff, or weird crap that catches my interest.  :)

There will likely be times that I double post, but I assure you that I will keep up the work here.  In the meantime, if anyone has any experience with maintaining multiple blogs I'd love to hear about it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Jen,

    I'd love to know more about the CPD discussion that you attended on e-Portfolios. From what you write it would appear that you consider a blog to be an e-Portfolio? - I feel that I must disagree with you.

    However, you raise the problem of multiple postings which is one of my great passions about eFolio. With eFolio you can upload all your artefacts once and yet when required can re-use the same documents for different purposes and to different audiences, concurently.

    BTW did you know that Pennsylvania is trialling eFolio - I beleive with thoughts of state-wide adoption.

    PS Very interested in your research, particularly in Mozambique.

    Get me off-list if you want at:
    rjt@maximise-ict.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point. I don't consider an e-Portfolio to be a blog, yet I think having a blog component to the e-portfolio is a great idea.

    I hadn't heard that Pennsylvania was trialling eFolio. In retrospect it makes sense though. At UGA I hadn't heard of any such program.

    ReplyDelete